The BIOMEDIAG subgroup brings together scientists interested in using the TXRF technique for advanced elemental analysis of biological and medical samples. The purpose of the BIOMEDIAG subgroup in the ENFORCE project is to cooperate with the W2, W3 and W4 working groups and to promote, as part of the tasks carried out by these groups, the following goals and activities:
In collaboration with WG2 group:
- Development of new standards for calibration and validation of trace element analysis in medical and biological samples performed using TXRF.
- Verification of standard operating procedures (SOPs) covering sample preparation, quantitative analysis and estimation of the uncertainty of selected trace elements in medical and biological samples.
- Developing an ISO norm for analyzing selected trace elements in medical and biological samples using TXRF.
In collaboration with WG3 group:
- Development of protocols for the preparation of selected medical and biological samples for TXRF analysis.
- Development of standard procedures of the quantitative analysis of selected trace elements in medical and biological samples for measurements performed by TXRF.
- Development of standard procedures for estimating uncertainty of TXRF measurement of selected trace elements identified in medical and biological samples.
In collaboration with WG4 group:
- Quality control of trace element measurements made using the TXRF method by analyzing standards, comparative tests for TXRF and with other techniques.
- Preparation of a list of available standards /reference materials.
- Preparation of draft procedures for the preparation of selected samples for the analysis of trace elements using the TXRF technique.
- Preparation of draft procedures for the qualitative analysis of trace elements using the TXRF technique in selected medical and biological samples.
- Preparation (in the form of Excel sheets) of validation procedures for analysis of uncertainty of measurement carried out using the TXRF method.
- Organizing and participating in interlaboratory studies (e.q. the worldwide Proficiency Test for Nuclear and Related Analytical Techniques Laboratories).
- Comparisons of the results of TXRF measurements of biological and medical samples with the results obtained using other independent techniques.
- Promotion of the ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standard “General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories” through visits to laboratories accredited for TXRF sample analysis.